Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Crates are Great!



VINTAGE STYLE CRATE MAKEOVER



Don't you just love old crates?  They are so great for organizing things, and also add a touch of vintage fun.  Recently I had the good fortune to stumble upon several crates in assorted sizes.  They weren't really as pretty as I would have like, but I wasn't deterred.  They all started out slightly different, but the picture below gives you the general idea.  Ughhh!!!  This is not very pretty!


I started out by dry brushing them with one coat of Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint in White.  Dry brushing just means you have very little paint in your brush.  It gives things a weathered chalky look that I just love.

There, already looking a little better.


Then, I went to my vast saved selection of vintage graphics that I've gotten from the Graphics fairy website.  If you enjoy crafting or are a scrapbooker, this is a site you should definitely visit.   Once I chose the graphics I wanted to use, I printed them on my home printer and decoupaged them onto the ends.  I also put some transfers on the front side of some of them using my 'nail polish remover transfer method' (if you look closing you can see a few of the crates have words or Paris on one side). You can find the tutorial for my 'nail polish remover transfer method' here  Once I was happy with the final product, they were given a clear coat of varathane in satin finish.  I prefer varathane for protection, but like the look of wax.  I find I get the best of both, with varathane's satin finish, as the final product has a pretty, waxed look to it but offers better protection.

AND...voila......the finished products.  Aren't they pretty?  These will be heading to the June 2012 Vintage Chicks show in Priddis, AB.   If you live locally, you can check this event out here







Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment: